South Chicago Heights

Info
Attractions
Shopping
Dining
Lodging

Description

Near the southern edge of Cook County, the small town of South Chicago Heights grew around the intersection of the Sauk and Hubbard Trails. Both had existed for hundreds of years as major routes for native peoples and early traders. In 1907, residents in the immediate area joined with commercial interests around the old intersection and, meeting in the depot of the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroads, voted to become the village of South Chicago Heights. By 1910, the village had its own volunteer fire department and its first policeman. From 1913 into 1928, the original route of the Lincoln Highway came into the village from the east on Sauk Trail and then north on Chicago Road. The section along Chicago Road also was designated as part of the Dixie Highway in 1915. By 1926, this route became Illinois State Route One.

South Chicago Heights was originally home to the thousands of Italian, Polish, and German immigrants who worked in Chicago Heights. Today, it has become an area of newer, more expensive housing adjacent to the forest preserve land and many commercial properties that have been developed along Chicago Road.

Office

Murals

Gazebos

Fun Facts!

  • The first name proposed for the Lincoln Highway was the Coast-to-Coast Rock Highway.
  • By 1927 90% of Americans owned an automobile.
  • The Town of Fulton, Illinois has an authentic, working Dutch windmill.
  • Chicago Heights Illinois is known as The Crossroads of the Nation, because the Lincoln and Dixie Highways intersect.
  • The very first Seedling Mile is located in Malta, Illinois.