The area that is now known as Sauk Village has been a center of activity for hundreds of years. Native Americans used this area for transporting herd animals and trade items, and the area was opened up to American settlers in 1883. Original settlers' hailed from France, Germany, and Western Europe, and the area was first called Strassburg, after Strassburg, France, home of many of the original settlers.
When the Calumet Expressway was built in the 1950's, the area was seen as prime real estate. The community was incorporated on March 12, 1957 as Sauk Village, because a town in southern Illinois was already called Strassburg.
This mural portrays a playful scene from Sauk Village as automobile and livestock "share" the Kalvelage Bridge in route to their destinations. This pastoral scene includes deep shades of golden tones that bring the details to life of the early roadway that was so essential to people from all walks of life. An important area, known as the Sauk Trail, was designated as a section of the original Lincoln Highway through eastern Illinois.
Complete library services and local historical information.
Casual, Asian cuisine.
Pizza, delivery available.
Outstanding service and excellent food.